Morning Brides and Grooms! Today we’re delighted to share with you the first post from the second of our fantastic resident experts: brilliant Hair and Makeup Artist Victoria Farr. Victoria is here to help guide you through how to look your absolute best on your wedding day to make sure you look and feel truly stunning and ready to impress. So we’ll hand the blog over to Victoria to help you work out just where you need to begin…
Where to start….
Well I could say the same myself, being a newbie here on Bride Vs Groom and with so many things I’m looking to share and help you readers out with, I thought I’d start at the very beginning.
You’re engaged, congratulations! You will be now working your way through your wedding supplier list and ladies, if it’s not already there, then someone will ask about your hair and make up for your special day. Are you lucky enough to know someone you can trust 100% and know they will be able to understand and create the desired look for your wedding day, well done if this is you. If not, does the thought of finding someone bring you out in a cold sweat? I’m delighted to share with you what I would consider when sourcing someone to professionally apply your make up, whereby the artist travels to you on the wedding day, therefore, making the whole wedding day experience more relaxing for you.
There are so many things to think about, do you look for recommendations from friends and family, wedding blogs, department stores….to name a few. Here are my top tips to help you find the right person for you;
When you hire a make up artist, you are hiring not only their expertise but their knowledge of which products work on camera, in natural light and flash photography (the casper the ghost look is not great). Also, you want to ensure your make up lasts all day, especially on a hot and sunny Summer’s day or should there be any happy tears.
In addition, they can provide you with advice and tips on how to get your skin in tip top condition for your big day, which is normally at your consultation. If your skin is in the best condition, your make up will sit perfectly.
What does a professional make up artist bring to the wedding day?
Calmness, confidence, relaxation as well as support to you and your bridal party. I often find myself helping out with pinning Mum’s button hole or helping the bride into her wedding gown, for me, this is all part of the service I offer my brides.
What do I need to consider when choosing a make up artist?
- Are they insured? This protects the bride as well as the artist in the event of the unexpected.
- What is their make up style and more importantly what is your style? Being in a creative industy, one person’s style is different to another, so research their portfolio on their website or facebook pages and see if this matches your expectations for your wedding day style.
- Testimonials – what are their previous brides saying about their work.
What questions should I ask the make up artist before making a booking?
- What are their booking conditions or terms and conditions. More and more artists in the UK are now using contracts between their brides, which I think is an excellent idea and this is something I now provide to my brides. You will have contracts for your other wedding suppliers, so I think this gives you peace of mind and reassurance.
- Is there a booking fee required by the artist to secure the date in their diary.
- Request a quotation or full costing’s for your wedding day requirements, so you have all the prices up front and that there are no surprises and everything is clear from the outset.
- Do they have a minimum booking requirement or a maximum number they can work with on the wedding day and if so, do they have an assistant that will come along.
- Do they travel to you for the trial/consultation and also on the wedding day and if so, what are the costs involved.
- What brands of make up do they use and does this fit with your requirements.
Finally, it is so very important that you find the right artist for you, someone whom you ‘click’ with and completely understands you and your wedding day requirements and whose work you love.
Next time….what to expect after the booking and what happens at the trial.
Images by York Place Studios